Trouble connecting to Nokia 6610

Trouble connecting to Nokia 6610 SearchSearch

SMS & MMS Technical Forum » NowSMS Support - SMS Issues (Product Support Only) » Archive through June 21, 2007 » Trouble connecting to Nokia 6610 « Previous || Next »
Daniel Pifko
Username: Dpifko

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 04:36 pm:   

Hi there,

I'm having trouble establishing an SMSC connection to my Nokia 6610 and need your help. I'm getting an "Unable to access modem at COM8: -- Error 20 -- The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" error.

Here's the situation:

* Nokia 6610 with active Cingular USA SIM card. Physically connected to WinXP computer with Nokia CA-24 USB cable. Phone is actually an unlocked T-Mobile USA phone, which may cause problems later. I don't think that's affecting things right now.

* I installed Nokia PC Suite 6.82.27.0 and followed the steps to connect the 6610. Using PC Suite I'm able to see the SMS messages in the phone's memory from the PC. I can also browse the phone's memory from the PC.

* Installed Now v2006.10.31 trial version and started up the NowSMS gateway.

* On the SMSC tab, I clicked Add.

* From the drop-down, I pick "Nokia CA-42 GSM USB Modem".

* When I click "Test and Add Modem" an error window pops up with the following message:

"Unable to access modem at COM8: -- Error 20 -- The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

Q: How do I clear this up?

Q: Am I using the right cable (perhaps I should use the DKU-5?)

Thanks,

Daniel
Daniel Pifko

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 08:00 pm:   

For what it's worth, I have a Nokia 6260 (Series 60) attached to the same computer with a Nokia DKU-2 cable and I can test the connection and send SMSes to my heart's content. All is good there. The reason I want another phone is the Series 60's inability to forward txt msgs into NowSMS.
Bryce Norwood - NowSMS Support
Board Administrator
Username: Bryce

Post Number: 7022
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 07:23 pm:   

Hi Daniel,

Nokia PC Suite likes to grab the modem at startup ... and only one application can access the modem at a time.

Do you get better results if you shut down PC Suite?

-bn
Daniel Pifko

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 07:16 pm:   

Hi Bryce,

I did try turning PC Suite off and restarting the NowSMS service. No go. I didn't actually try setting PC Suite to not load and then reboot. That *might* work still, but it's rather kludgey. I'm also a little suspicious, since NowSMS could speak to my S60 phone with PC Suite on. Ironically, the reason I went with a Nokia phone is that I use PC Suite to connect to other phones on this computer and didn't want to have multiple manufacturers' apps running.

The whole 6610 thing looked shaky to me even if I could get it to work, so I returned the phone and got a Sony-Ericsson Z520a. Without loading any SE software on the PC I connected via Bluetooth and had NowSMS sending and receiving in about 5 minutes.

Thanks for your help. You may want to take the 6610 off your supported list or put some usage guidelines around it if it's going to stay on.

Daniel

Login Login / Register Logout Logout Search Last 30 Days Topics Topics