Receive concatenated SMS by a user via SMPP Server

Receive concatenated SMS by a user via SMPP Server SearchSearch

SMS & MMS Technical Forum » NowSMS Support - SMS Issues (Product Support Only) » Archive through October 16, 2008 » Receive concatenated SMS by a user via SMPP Server « Previous || Next »
Author Message
Amir
New member
Username: Astar

Post Number: 1
Registered: 02-2006
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 02:01 pm:   


Hi,

According to my previous experience with the NowSMS, when sending a large (concatenated) SMS, using a GSM modem from an SMPP user, I should prepare the UDH and pack (encode) the content of the message (of-course only when the data-coding is 7-bit). That's working just fine.

However, when I tried to opposite direction, i.e. sending a long SMS from my handset to the GSM-modem that connected to the NowSMS, I noticed that the 'short_message' field, within the 'Deliver_SM' message, contained the required UDH but the text was already unpacked (decoded)...
(I expected to get the content of the 'short_message' in packed mode when UDHI is set. In the same manner I do in 'Submit_SM').}

I wonder if that is a configurable mode in the NowSMS or an expected behaviour of any SMPP-SMSC.
Please your advice.
Des - NowSMS Support
Board Administrator
Username: Desosms

Post Number: 90
Registered: 08-2008
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 03:33 pm:   

Hi Amir,

Unfortunately, the SMPP specification does not specify whether the SMS message data should be packed or not when UDH is present.

When NowSMS is acting as an SMPP client, it has long had a configuration option to specify whether or not the text should be packed when UDH is present. (The actual setting refers to "long text messages", but it applies whenever UDH is present, but the content is standard text.)

Our experience from that perspective is that most real world SMSCs expect the UDH to be followed by standard unpacked text. But when I say most, my estimate would be approximately 70% of implementations that we have encountered. The other 30% expect the text to be packed into 7-bit encoding.

Therefore, we made the default for the SMPP server to be that it follows the UDH with standard (decoded) text.

When NowSMS receives a message from an SMPP client, and UDH is present, it analyzes the data content of the message to determine whether it is packed content or not.

However, when NowSMS delivers a message to an SMPP client, its default behaviour is that it follows the UDH with standard (decoded) text.

You can change this behaviour with configuration settings in SMSGW.INI. If an [SMPP] section header does not exist in SMSGW.INI, add it. Then under that section header, here are two interesting options that apply to SMPP message formatting for clients that connect to NowSMS:

LongSMSPacked=Yes

When NowSMS is acting as the SMPP server, this setting will cause NowSMS to deliver messages that contain UDH with 7-bit packed text.

UseTLV=Yes

When NowSMS is acting as the SMPP server, this setting will cause NowSMS to convert UDH for source/destination port and message segmentation into the appropriate TLV parameters instead of using UDH.


--
Des
NowSMS Support

Login Login / Register Logout Logout Search Last 30 Days Topics Topics